• The Triple Play (5)

    From Daryl Stout@618:250/33 to All on Mon Aug 10 00:05:22 2020
    Ham For The Holidays - The 12 Days Of Hamming

    And now...with a Christmas In July theme...never mind longing for cooler weather in summer (especially in August in Arkansas), the Cabot
    Nightflyers Net is proud to present "Ham For The Holidays".

    Using the melody of the song "TheTwelve Days Of Christmas", I've created
    a new tune, as it were..."TheTwelve Days Of Hamming". Instead of more ham
    radio pun humor, it's now a gift giving scene, with Radio providing gifts
    for Ham, and the harmonics...and I'm sure that some may be glad that the majority of the dry humor is over...at least for now (hi hi).

    However, while metrically correct in what will be noted...since any
    singing on the airwaves is defined as music...no matter how badly one sings...and since music is prohibited on the amateur radio frequencies,
    as per FCC rules, I obviously can not sing these lyrics on the air, or
    with this recording. That even means not even tenor solo...which is ten
    or eleven miles away, and so low that no one can hear it (hi hi).

    Anyway, each of these are different items that are experienced in the
    hobby, and it's by no means an all inclusive list...because there is just
    too much in amateur radio to just cover 12 categories.

    For each one listed, though...I have included a brief explanation of each
    one. This could be for the ham radio operator who has, or wants everything
    (hi hi).

    On the 1st day of Hamming, my radio gave to me:

    A license, callsign, from the FCC.

    This is obviously needed for one getting on the air in the first place.
    Today, the Technician Class license is the entry level license into
    amateur radio. Morse Code is no longer required for a ham radio license...
    but you can still learn and use the original digital mode, CW...and many amateur radio operators do just that. But, you no longer have to prove
    that you know Morse Code at the license exam session.

    There are several options for studying for a ham radio license exam...
    which are multiple choice, and can be with, or without schematic diagrams.
    If you pass an exam, congratulations. Unlike years ago, when you had to
    have the paper copy of your license "in hand" before you transmitted for
    the first time...you now can get on the air as soon as your callsign
    appears in the FCC ULS database, which can be anywhere from 5 days to
    2 weeks or more after the exam session. You're the ONLY one in the world
    with that specific callsign.

    Depending on the workload of the FCC, you may have your callsign in as
    little as 5 days after the exam. But, if it has been more than 2 weeks
    since your exam, and you still don't see the callsign, you can call the
    Exam Team Leader (Liaison), who can contact the Volunteer Examiner
    Coordinator, to find out what the delay is, and get back to you.

    Also, as of Feb. 17, 2015, the FCC is NO LONGER ISSUING PAPER LICENSES
    to amateur radio operators. However, one will be able to logon to the
    FCC ULS website on the internet at http://wireless.fcc.gov/uls with
    their Federal Registration Number and password, and either print an
    "official copy" for ones shack (and ones wallet), or an "unofficial
    reference copy", to show at a future license exam session, if you
    decide to upgrade your license, so you can get proper credit.

    The default will be an "electronic copy", but if you must have a
    "paper copy" mailed to you, you can request such from the FCC ULS
    website. For more information on how to get this done, go to http://www.arrl.org/obtain-license-copy

    You won't have a choice in the first callsign that you get...but you
    can apply for a new sequential callsign, or choose your own vanity
    callsign. The format of the callsign is limited by both the current
    license class that you hold, and if such a callsign is available. As
    of Sept. 3, 2015, there is no longer a fee required for a vanity
    callsign, but there is an 18 to 21 day waiting period (sometimes
    longer) once you apply for the vanity callsign, and to when it is
    issued. Once the new vanity callsign is issued, your former callsign
    is no longer valid for use on the air.

    So, before you apply for a vanity callsign, be sure that you want to
    CHANGE your current callsign. Note that once you're issued your first
    callsign by the FCC, it will NOT change, UNLESS you request such.

    Unfortunately, not every amateur radio operator has passed a license
    exam on the first try...and for some, it takes a large amount of tries
    to pass their exam. However, it must be stressed that there is NO
    DISGRACE if you fail an exam. But, once you do pass the exam (even if
    just barely), as far as anyone else is concerned...once you have your
    callsign, you made a perfect score on the test(s) the first time...and
    it's no one else's business on what your score was, how many times it
    took you to pass the exam, etc.

    Examinees who are disabled in some way, or who may have learning
    disabilities, or other issues...can request special exam accommodations
    at the exam session. However, they must contact the Exam Session Leader
    as far in advance of the exam session as possible, so proper
    arrangements can be made...such as large print exam books, or reading
    of the exams to them, with the examinee telling the examiner which
    answers to mark on the answer sheet, or even giving a test at the
    examinees home. Medical documentation may be required, if the disability
    is not obvious.

    On the 2nd day of Hamming, my radio gave to me:

    Two license upgrades, and a license, callsign from the FCC.

    Starting with the Technician Class license, the other two licenses
    available are General...the one that most hams hold, and the Amateur
    Extra Class license.

    While Novice and Advanced Class operators are still around, no new
    licenses for these are being issued...but holders of these licenses
    may renew them at the appropriate time.

    Also, once you have your license and callsign, if you pass a higher
    license class exam at a test session, you can use your new privileges immediately, with special suffix identifiers, when you are on the
    upgraded bands...until your upgrade shows up in the FCC ULS. Once the
    upgrade shows up in the FCC ULS, you no longer have to use the special
    suffix identifiers.

    Plus, General, Advanced, and Amateur Extra Class licensees can also
    apply to become Volunteer Examiners, who give and grade the exams...as
    long as their license is valid and unexpired, it has never been
    suspended or revoked, and they are at least 18 years of age. Once
    they've passed the accreditation process by the particular Volunteer
    Examiner Coordinator (VEC), they can serve at any license session done
    by that VEC, providing the Test Session Liaison OK's them to serve. The
    VE's license class determines which exams they can give, and grade.

    As a side note, being a Volunteer Examiner is the most rewarding thing
    that I've ever done in amateur radio...because you are giving back to
    the hobby, and getting new hams licensed. If you remember how thrilled
    you were when you got your first license, you can imagine how thrilled
    the Volunteer Examiners are, when you do pass the exam.
    --- SBBSecho 3.11-Win32
    * Origin: The Thunderbolt BBS - tbolt.synchro.net (618:250/33)