• Re: It's bad enough that Usenet is mostly insults, now our software ins

    From Carlos E.R.@255:255/999 to William Unruh on Wed Dec 5 14:57:41 2018
    On 03/12/2018 15.21, William Unruh wrote:
    On 2018-12-03, Carlos E.R. <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:
    On 03/12/2018 13.45, Kenny McCormack wrote:
    In article <ep1edf-f59.ln1@Telcontar.valinor>,
    Carlos E.R. <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:
    ...
    Sure, I have seen that in openSUSE. And if I typed the wrong password or >>>> tried to use the wrong command it would *insult* me. This is a
    configuration which I disabled fast:

    /etc/sudoers:

    ## Do not insult users when they enter an incorrect password.
    Defaults !insults


    And openSUSE years ago changed the default configuration file to not
    insult, but the software default was to insult.

    Just out of curiosity, what was the insult? What does it say?

    I don't remember. That we would be reported to the administrator.

    HOw is that an insult? It is (presumably/hopefully) a statement of fact.

    Nononono. The gist of what it said was that, but the wording was with
    insults. And no, I don't remember them, I disabled them long ago - after
    all I'm the administrator and what I do as user I want to give myself permission to do. I don't need to be insulted by software in my own
    computer.

    Example:

    sudo apk-get update
    [sudo] password for saket:
    Are you on drugs?


    No, I do not see the humour in that. I see it as kids having the root
    power and making poor lowly users suffer when having to use a terminal,
    just because the could do it and get away with it.

    And to be practical, getting an insult instead of a message that I typed
    the wrong password makes people waste time trying to figure out what
    happened.


    You can see them here (google "sudo insults") - the last article has a
    view at the sources:

    <https://itsfoss.com/sudo-insult-linux/> <https://www.tecmint.com/sudo-insult-when-enter-wrong-password/> <https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/when-sudo-insults-you/> <https://askubuntu.com/questions/837558/where-are-sudos-insults-stored>





    --
    Cheers, Carlos.

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: SpaceSST BBS Usenet <mccarragher.org> Fidonet Gateway (255:255/999)
  • From William Unruh@255:255/999 to Carlos E.R. on Wed Dec 5 14:55:05 2018
    On 2018-12-05, Carlos E.R. <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:
    On 03/12/2018 15.21, William Unruh wrote:
    On 2018-12-03, Carlos E.R. <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:
    On 03/12/2018 13.45, Kenny McCormack wrote:
    In article <ep1edf-f59.ln1@Telcontar.valinor>,
    Carlos E.R. <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:
    ...
    Sure, I have seen that in openSUSE. And if I typed the wrong password or >>>>> tried to use the wrong command it would *insult* me. This is a
    configuration which I disabled fast:

    /etc/sudoers:

    ## Do not insult users when they enter an incorrect password.
    Defaults !insults


    And openSUSE years ago changed the default configuration file to not >>>>> insult, but the software default was to insult.

    Just out of curiosity, what was the insult? What does it say?

    I don't remember. That we would be reported to the administrator.

    HOw is that an insult? It is (presumably/hopefully) a statement of fact.

    Nononono. The gist of what it said was that, but the wording was with insults. And no, I don't remember them, I disabled them long ago - after

    Ah, OK. I agree that there is no need for that kind of behaviour.


    all I'm the administrator and what I do as user I want to give myself permission to do. I don't need to be insulted by software in my own
    computer.

    Example:

    sudo apk-get update
    [sudo] password for saket:
    Are you on drugs?
    I assume that that is an example you made up rather than an actual
    quote.
    but yes, there is no need for that.


    Note that I have never seen this behaviour and the word "insult" does
    not occur in my /etc/sudoers file (and I do not have a sudo.conf file)
    so I seem to have been spared (Mageia 6)
    .



    No, I do not see the humour in that. I see it as kids having the root
    power and making poor lowly users suffer when having to use a terminal,
    just because the could do it and get away with it.

    And to be practical, getting an insult instead of a message that I typed
    the wrong password makes people waste time trying to figure out what happened.


    You can see them here (google "sudo insults") - the last article has a
    view at the sources:

    <https://itsfoss.com/sudo-insult-linux/> ><https://www.tecmint.com/sudo-insult-when-enter-wrong-password/> ><https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/when-sudo-insults-you/> ><https://askubuntu.com/questions/837558/where-are-sudos-insults-stored>






    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: SpaceSST BBS Usenet <mccarragher.org> Fidonet Gateway (255:255/999)
  • From Carlos E.R.@255:255/999 to William Unruh on Wed Dec 5 17:02:21 2018
    On 05/12/2018 15.55, William Unruh wrote:
    On 2018-12-05, Carlos E.R. <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:
    On 03/12/2018 15.21, William Unruh wrote:
    On 2018-12-03, Carlos E.R. <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:
    On 03/12/2018 13.45, Kenny McCormack wrote:
    In article <ep1edf-f59.ln1@Telcontar.valinor>,
    Carlos E.R. <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:
    ...
    Sure, I have seen that in openSUSE. And if I typed the wrong password or >>>>>> tried to use the wrong command it would *insult* me. This is a
    configuration which I disabled fast:

    /etc/sudoers:

    ## Do not insult users when they enter an incorrect password.
    Defaults !insults


    And openSUSE years ago changed the default configuration file to not >>>>>> insult, but the software default was to insult.

    Just out of curiosity, what was the insult? What does it say?

    I don't remember. That we would be reported to the administrator.

    HOw is that an insult? It is (presumably/hopefully) a statement of fact.

    Nononono. The gist of what it said was that, but the wording was with
    insults. And no, I don't remember them, I disabled them long ago - after

    Ah, OK. I agree that there is no need for that kind of behaviour.


    all I'm the administrator and what I do as user I want to give myself
    permission to do. I don't need to be insulted by software in my own
    computer.

    Example:

    sudo apk-get update
    [sudo] password for saket:
    Are you on drugs?
    I assume that that is an example you made up rather than an actual
    quote.
    but yes, there is no need for that.

    An actual quote, hand typed by me from a photo in one of the links I
    posted. I omitted the shell prompts for brevity.



    Note that I have never seen this behaviour and the word "insult" does
    not occur in my /etc/sudoers file (and I do not have a sudo.conf file)
    so I seem to have been spared (Mageia 6)
    .

    Maybe your distro maintainer disabled it in the source.


    --
    Cheers, Carlos.

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: SpaceSST BBS Usenet <mccarragher.org> Fidonet Gateway (255:255/999)
  • From William Unruh@255:255/999 to Carlos E.R. on Wed Dec 5 23:52:53 2018
    On 2018-12-05, Carlos E.R. <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:
    On 05/12/2018 15.55, William Unruh wrote:
    On 2018-12-05, Carlos E.R. <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:
    On 03/12/2018 15.21, William Unruh wrote:
    On 2018-12-03, Carlos E.R. <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:
    On 03/12/2018 13.45, Kenny McCormack wrote:
    In article <ep1edf-f59.ln1@Telcontar.valinor>,
    Carlos E.R. <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:
    ...
    Sure, I have seen that in openSUSE. And if I typed the wrong password or
    tried to use the wrong command it would *insult* me. This is a
    configuration which I disabled fast:

    /etc/sudoers:

    ## Do not insult users when they enter an incorrect password.
    Defaults !insults


    And openSUSE years ago changed the default configuration file to not >>>>>>> insult, but the software default was to insult.

    Just out of curiosity, what was the insult? What does it say?

    I don't remember. That we would be reported to the administrator.

    HOw is that an insult? It is (presumably/hopefully) a statement of fact. >>>
    Nononono. The gist of what it said was that, but the wording was with
    insults. And no, I don't remember them, I disabled them long ago - after

    Ah, OK. I agree that there is no need for that kind of behaviour.


    all I'm the administrator and what I do as user I want to give myself
    permission to do. I don't need to be insulted by software in my own
    computer.

    Example:

    sudo apk-get update
    [sudo] password for saket:
    Are you on drugs?
    I assume that that is an example you made up rather than an actual
    quote.
    but yes, there is no need for that.

    An actual quote, hand typed by me from a photo in one of the links I
    posted. I omitted the shell prompts for brevity.



    Note that I have never seen this behaviour and the word "insult" does
    not occur in my /etc/sudoers file (and I do not have a sudo.conf file)
    so I seem to have been spared (Mageia 6)
    .

    Maybe your distro maintainer disabled it in the source.

    Another good reason to use Mageia.



    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: SpaceSST BBS Usenet <mccarragher.org> Fidonet Gateway (255:255/999)
  • From John Hasler@255:255/999 to Carlos on Wed Dec 5 19:47:33 2018
    Carlos writes:
    No, I do not see the humour in that. I see it as kids having the root
    power and making poor lowly users suffer when having to use a terminal,
    just because the could do it and get away with it.

    And to be practical, getting an insult instead of a message that I typed
    the wrong password makes people waste time trying to figure out what happened.


    You can see them here (google "sudo insults") - the last article has a
    view at the sources:

    <https://itsfoss.com/sudo-insult-linux/> <https://www.tecmint.com/sudo-insult-when-enter-wrong-password/> <https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/when-sudo-insults-you/> <https://askubuntu.com/questions/837558/where-are-sudos-insults-stored>

    I thought we were talking about the standard "This incident will be
    reported" message. That's just a joke option that should be (and in
    Debian is) disabled by default so that people with a certain sense of
    humor can enable it for, as they would say, "shits and grins". Nothing
    to see here.

    --
    John Hasler
    jhasler@newsguy.com
    Dancing Horse Hill
    Elmwood, WI USA

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: SpaceSST BBS Usenet <mccarragher.org> Fidonet Gateway (255:255/999)
  • From Carlos E.R.@255:255/999 to John Hasler on Thu Dec 6 03:49:24 2018
    On 06/12/2018 02.47, John Hasler wrote:
    Carlos writes:
    No, I do not see the humour in that. I see it as kids having the root
    power and making poor lowly users suffer when having to use a terminal,
    just because the could do it and get away with it.

    And to be practical, getting an insult instead of a message that I typed
    the wrong password makes people waste time trying to figure out what
    happened.


    You can see them here (google "sudo insults") - the last article has a
    view at the sources:

    <https://itsfoss.com/sudo-insult-linux/>
    <https://www.tecmint.com/sudo-insult-when-enter-wrong-password/>
    <https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/when-sudo-insults-you/>
    <https://askubuntu.com/questions/837558/where-are-sudos-insults-stored>

    I thought we were talking about the standard "This incident will be
    reported" message. That's just a joke option that should be (and in
    Debian is) disabled by default so that people with a certain sense of
    humor can enable it for, as they would say, "shits and grins". Nothing
    to see here.

    No, it is way more disgusting than that

    --
    Cheers, Carlos.

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: SpaceSST BBS Usenet <mccarragher.org> Fidonet Gateway (255:255/999)
  • From John Hasler@255:255/999 to Carlos on Wed Dec 5 23:02:35 2018
    Carlos writes:
    No, it is way more disgusting than that

    I mean that this "insults" thing you are agitated about is just a joke
    option. I'd say that any distribution that enables it by default is a
    joke distribution.

    I also think that this "insults" option it is a relatively new addition
    whereas the standard "This incident will be reported" message goes back
    to Unix.
    --
    John Hasler
    jhasler@newsguy.com
    Dancing Horse Hill
    Elmwood, WI USA

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: SpaceSST BBS Usenet <mccarragher.org> Fidonet Gateway (255:255/999)
  • From Kenny McCormack@255:255/999 to Carlos E.R. on Thu Dec 6 06:12:18 2018
    In article <kafmdf-6bi.ln1@Telcontar.valinor>,
    Carlos E.R. <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:
    ...
    No, it is way more *disgusting* than that

    A bit hyperbolic, wouldn't you say?

    Anyway, nowadays, the accepted buzzword is "disgraceful" (*).

    (*) The Orange One's favorite word these days.

    --
    If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the
    computer, a Rolls-Royce today would cost $100, get a million miles to
    the gallon, and explode once every few weeks, killing everyone inside.

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: SpaceSST BBS Usenet <mccarragher.org> Fidonet Gateway (255:255/999)
  • From Carlos E.R.@255:255/999 to Kenny McCormack on Thu Dec 6 13:35:04 2018
    On 06/12/2018 07.12, Kenny McCormack wrote:
    In article <kafmdf-6bi.ln1@Telcontar.valinor>,
    Carlos E.R. <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:
    ...
    No, it is way more *disgusting* than that

    A bit hyperbolic, wouldn't you say?

    It has a long list of insults, they rotate.

    No, I do not see the humour or joke of my own computer insulting me.
    Humour is not that international or universal. The clamour on openSUSE
    when it was requested to remove or disable the insults was large.
    Several people complained that at least, it was not professional.

    Me, I don't understand what some of the insults mean, specially when a
    program spews them instead of telling me what is wrong.

    "Where did you learn to type?",
    "Are you on drugs?",
    "My pet ferret can type better than you!",
    "You type like i drive.",
    "Do you think like you type?",
    "Your mind just hasn't been the same since the electro-shock, has it?"

    "Maybe if you used more than just two fingers...",
    "BOB says: You seem to have forgotten your passwd, enter another!",
    "stty: unknown mode: doofus",
    "I can't hear you -- I'm using the scrambler.",
    "The more you drive -- the dumber you get.",
    #ifdef PC_INSULTS
    "Listen, broccoli brains, I don't have time to listen to this trash.", #else
    "Listen, burrito brains, I don't have time to listen to this trash.", #endif
    "I've seen penguins that can type better than that.",
    "Have you considered trying to match wits with a rutabaga?",
    "You speak an infinite deal of nothing"

    "You silly, twisted boy you.",
    "He has fallen in the water!",
    "We'll all be murdered in our beds!",
    "You can't come in. Our tiger has got flu",
    "I don't wish to know that.",
    "What, what, what, what, what, what, what, what, what, what?",
    "You can't get the wood, you know.",
    "You'll starve!",
    "... and it used to be so popular...",
    "Pauses for audience applause, not a sausage",
    "Hold it up to the light --- not a brain in sight!",
    "Have a gorilla...",
    "There must be cure for it!",
    "There's a lot of it about, you know.",
    "You do that again and see what happens...",
    "Ying Tong Iddle I Po",
    "Harm can come to a young lad like that!",
    "And with that remarks folks, the case of the Crown vs yourself was proven.",
    "Speak English you fool --- there are no subtitles in this scene.",
    "You gotta go owwwww!",
    "I have been called worse.",
    "It's only your word against mine.",
    "I think ... err ... I think ... I think I'll go home",




    Anyway, nowadays, the accepted buzzword is "disgraceful" (*).

    (*) The Orange One's favorite word these days.


    Ah, well, English is not my first language and it shows sometimes more
    than others. I have just finished reading an Agatha Christie book ;-)

    --
    Cheers, Carlos.

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: SpaceSST BBS Usenet <mccarragher.org> Fidonet Gateway (255:255/999)
  • From marrgol@255:255/999 to Carlos E.R. on Thu Dec 6 14:54:11 2018
    On 2018-12-06 at 13:35, Carlos E.R. wrote:
    I do not see the humour or joke of my own computer insulting me.

    I do. I like it it has a chance to hit back at me sometimes
    because I probably insult it much worse and much much more often. ;-)

    I've also been having 'fortune -o' in my .profile for years…
    But, I'm not a native English speaker either so I might be
    confusing 'insulting' with 'offending' here. :-) And it's
    my choice, not my admins'.

    Humour is not that international or universal.
    True.


    --
    mrg

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: SpaceSST BBS Usenet <mccarragher.org> Fidonet Gateway (255:255/999)
  • From Carlos E.R.@255:255/999 to marrgol on Thu Dec 6 15:16:30 2018
    On 06/12/2018 14.54, marrgol wrote:
    On 2018-12-06 at 13:35, Carlos E.R. wrote:
    I do not see the humour or joke of my own computer insulting me.

    I do. I like it it has a chance to hit back at me sometimes
    because I probably insult it much worse and much much more often. ;-)

    Of course I insult my computer! :-)
    But it doesn't reply in kind, it mostly ignores me ;-)


    I've also been having 'fortune -o' in my .profile for years…
    But, I'm not a native English speaker either so I might be
    confusing 'insulting' with 'offending' here. :-) And it's
    my choice, not my admins'.

    Oh, I have no problems with fortune, I use it. It is clear that it is a
    random text and where it prints. I have problems when I expect a success
    or error message and get an insult instead, so I disabled it as soon as
    I learned how.


    Humour is not that international or universal.
    True.




    --
    Cheers, Carlos.

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: SpaceSST BBS Usenet <mccarragher.org> Fidonet Gateway (255:255/999)